Intimate Insights – A programme of artists talks and workshops taking place at StArt Studios in June, July and August.
Immerse yourself in unique art worlds – professional talks of interest to artists, lecturers, arts officers, curators, gallery owners and journalists. The series is being filmed for release as a documentary.
June Artist Talks:
– Saturday 11th June, 10am to 5pm, Kathryn Maguire – An indepth talk about her practice with open discussions on recent projects relating to place and material. From the precious to the plastic Maguire challenges the everyday. She will discuss her questioning of place and materials, exploring the right and want to convene in Nature, which is under threat, giving rise to an enclosure not only of place but also of mind.
In her work, Maguire seeks to unfold this through discussions and collaborations with various experts, such as geologists and scientists. Recent work shown in Platform Arts Belfast, questioned time via several projects, including melting basalt – recreating magma to understand time.
– Thursday 16th June, 10am to 5pm, Sean Hillen – A lively talk and presentation about his art projects, from Londonewry via Irelantis to WHAT’S WRONG? and everything else, exploring the genesis, his understandings, and how it all relates to him and the world.
Born in 1961 in Newry, N.Ireland, Hillen lives and works in Dublin. He studied at Belfast College of Art, London College of Printing and the Slade School of Fine Art. A ‘traditional’ collagist whose work has both popular and intellectual appeal.
– Monday 20th June, 10am to 5pm, John Dinan – The Artist as Small Business – sharing his successful experiences in a workshop format, to be professional, artists effectively must be one-person small businesses. John Dinan has been both, he will share his experiences and advice in this wide-ranging workshop, essential for both experienced and emerging artists.
Participants will be guided to develop a practical, Personal Art Business Plan for the years ahead, while keeping true to their art perspective. John is a full-time painter and tutor, having worked previously at senior level in a semi-state organisation, with the Irish Management Institute, as a business consultant, as owner of Corporate Art managing art collections, owner Kinsale Art Gallery and now with Cong Gallery.
– Thursday 23rd June, 10am to 5pm, Leo Scarff – A presentation covering his public art works, his work lecturing at colleges, his product designs, curating international shows, and facilitating public arts programs. Leo is a director of Leitrim Sculpture Centre and collaborates with Fablab Manorhamilton.
– Monday 27th June, 10am to 5pm, Richard Hearns – Two Ways of Working – brain versus body. Richard will demonstrate his painting methods and studio practice, with a photo & video presentation. He will share insights about his successes internationally, engaging with galleries and staging shows.
The fee to attend is €20, for artists fees, and includes tea / coffee and a light lunch.
These talks are being filmed as a documentary for public release, so your attendance requires agreement that you may feature in the film.
StArt Studios, Convent Lane, Mohill, Co. Leitrim
Tel: (071) 96 325 83