Thursday 29 June, 2pm to 5pm
A seminar on public art – VAI in partnership with Clare County Council Arts Office.
Coinciding with the launch of Clare County Council’s new programme of public art commissioning Gaining Ground – Re-Imagining our Futures through lasting Public Art Encounters. Clare County Council Public Art Programme 2017- 2020
This afternoon series of talks and 1-to-1 Clinics aims to support artists who might wish to submit proposals to Gaining Ground. Accomplished artists Fiona Woods, Gareth Kennedy and Pauline O’Connell will provide insight into their practices as they relate to public art making, focusing on projects that have engaged in a significant way with local communities.
They will discuss:
– successful public art proposals and projects they have achieved
– methodologies and ideas they have developed as a means of engaging with communities
– approaches to developing connectedness and sustainability in the process and outcomes of projects
– technical or other challenges they have encountered and overcome
– their learning through project/s and advice for artists new to the public commission process
Following the talks there will be a number of 1-to-1 Clinics, for artists attending, with the speakers. The clinics are an opportunity for advice on a public art proposal or a project idea that you are developing and for feedback on how you present your ideas at proposal stage. Please request a clinic on the registration form on the VAI web site. Clinics will be allocated on a first come first served basis.