Deadline for proposals: 31 March
The Black Artists + Modernism research project is pleased to announce the forthcoming conference, Conceptualism – Intersectional Readings, International Framings, in collaboration with Van Abbemuseum. The conference will take place from Friday 8th December to Saturday 9th December 2017 at the Van Abbemuseum, Eindhoven.
We invite proposals from artists, academics and curators that focus on a specific artwork or artistic practice, to address the indicative themes and questions below:
- How do artists like Nil Yalter, David Medalla, and Stanley Brouwn, amongst others, approach and engage with Conceptualism?
- How are formations of race, class, gender and sexuality addressed through Conceptualist art practices in Europe after 1968 and among emerging contemporary artists such as Mathieu Kleyebe Abonnenc?
- How can Conceptualism be understood anew through intersectional readings and international framings?
- How have public collections contested mainstream white male-dominated definitions of Conceptualism in Europe?
- How does the term ‘Black’ resonate, if at all, within discourses of Conceptualism and modernism across specific European regions and contexts?
Please submit proposals by email as a single Word document, comprising an abstract (max 500 words) and a short biography (300 words) by Friday 31st March 2017. Proposals should be sent to: email@example.com
Successful applicants will be notified by 31st May 2017
For more information about the Black Artists and Modernism project and call for papers, please visit www.blackartistsmodernism.co.uk/
If you have any queries, please contact Sophie Orlando at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about the Van Abbemuseum, please visit vanabbemuseum.nl/en/