Application deadline: 7 March
Culture Ireland, in partnership with the Arts Council, invites expressions of interest for the role of Commissioner of Ireland’s national representation at the 58th International Art Exhibition at the Venice Biennale 2019. Following the success in 2017 of Tremble Tremble by Jesse Jones, which continues to tour internationally, Culture Ireland and and The Arts Council are delighted to announce the Open Call for the Commissioner of the 2019 Venice Biennale.
This call for submissions is open to Irish individuals, collectives or organisations based in Ireland or abroad and to those of any nationality resident in Ireland. The selection of a Commissioner will comprise two stages:
- Stage one: Open Submission
- Stage two: Shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview.
This stage will be assessed by a panel, to include at least one representative from both Culture Ireland and the Arts Council.
Applicants must submit no more than 2 x A4 pages in PDF format outlining:
1. The curatorial approach, including initial ideas developed in collaboration with the artist/s proposed for presentation, indicating why this is believed to be the most relevant artist/project/concept to represent Ireland in 2019.
2. Detail of the artist/s and proposed exhibition/project including why this artist’s practice best suits your ambition and vision for a national representation.
3. A strategy to engage the international arts sector with Ireland’s representation at Venice.
4. Your understanding of the tasks involved, including details of a project management plan (including timeline).
5. An outline budget including justification of the level of investment identified and initial consideration of fundraising required.
6. A strategy to engage the Irish arts sector with the Venice event.
7. A proposal for the national tour, including proposals relating to at least three regional venues and a strategy to engage the Irish public with the national tour
The support available has not yet been set for the 2019 Biennale. Based on the 2017 level of funding of €210k from Culture Ireland and €70k from the Arts Council, state support for the international presentation of €280k may be used as a guideline. Applicants will be expected to be in a position to fundraise additional support.
The complete tender document can be downloaded from here: cultureireland.ie/Venice_Art_Biennale_2019.pdf