Visual Artists Ireland and Digital Arts Studios Residency Award
As part of the partnership between Visual Artists Ireland and the Digital Arts Studios, a new Award has been established for members of VAI.
What is the award?
The winner will receive a residency at the Digital Arts Studios in Belfast. The residency offers:
- Four months as artist in residence at DAS
- An individual workstation with Mac Pro programmed with relevant software such as Final Cut Studio 7, Ableton, Creative Suite 5 etc.
- Free access to any training courses or workshops that DAS runs as part of its regular workshop programme.
- Free access to all DAS equipment including HD Video cameras (Canon XF305, Sony PMW-EX1, Sony HVR-A1E), Digital SLR Camera (Canon 5D Mark II), microphones, studio lighting kit, greenscreen, tripods, Wacom tablet, steadicam system, projectors etc.
- Technical support and advice.
- An opportunity to realise a body of work or project that utilises digital technologies or has a digital element. *Please note that the residency applies to all visual artists and not only those artists who work exclusively or directly with digital technologies.
- An opportunity to present your work publicly. *Please note that whilst exhibitions are not arranged specifically for artists in residence, the Studios will support an artist to realise any event they wish to produce as part of their residency. (For example please see Public Event).
- The Digital Arts Studios also curates exhibitions of work by their past artists in residence and is committed to continuing the support of artists in this way. (Artists are required to leave an example of their work for the DAS archive and to assist in curation of future exhibitions.)
- You will get the chance to meet other artists in the creative hub of the studios and benefit from a supportive working environment.
The Digital Arts Studios is based in the Cathedral Quarter in Belfast City Centre. Conveniently situated within walking distance of galleries and cultural venues at 38 – 42 Hill Street, Belfast, BT1 2LB. For directions go to: DAS map.
Who can apply?
Artists who hold current membership of Visual Artists Ireland. For information on joining VAI go to http://visualartists.ie/join/.
How are award winners selected?
Applications will be reviewed and the award winner will be selected by a VAI/DAS panel.
How to apply
All applicants must provide the following:
- A Project Proposal
- Provide a description of the project that you wish to complete during the residency.
- Outline how you intend to make use of the residency, bearing in mind the duration of the residency and the facilities and resources that are available to you.
*The proposal may contain written and visual material.
- An Artist statement
- Provide a statement outlining why you feel the residency would be of benefit to your project and/or your practice overall.
- A current CV (max 2 pages)
- Examples of work
- Up to 10 still images/documentation of work
- Up to 3 examples of video or audio, maximum duration 5 minutes each.
- Up to 3 links to work online.
The application period will be advertised through our eBulletin and information services each year.
Apply online here for this years (DEADLINE, 30th August 2012)