VAN: January/February 2011
The Visual Artists News Sheet
1. Cover Image. Andrew Duggan Hole 2009
5. Roundup. Recent exhibitions and projects of note.
5. Column. Mark Fisher. The Game Has Changed
6. Column. Sarah Searson. How to be a Mensch
7. Column. Jonathan Carroll. Failure, Success and Engagement.
8. Column. Chris Fite-Wassilak. Real Art Top Ten 2010.
9. Column. Eamonn Maxwell. Come Together.
10. News. The latest developments in the arts sector.
11. Regional Profile. Visual arts resources and activity in Kerry
14. Conference. Central & Indispensable. Joanne Laws reports on ‘Writing Irish Art History’ a research day held at TRIARC, Dublin.
15. Profile. Airport Art. Sara Baume introduces ‘Terminal Convention 2011′ a major project that will place on the site of the former Cork International Airport. (Archived in our Articles Section)
16. Profile. Polyphonic Public Conversation. Rachael Thomas and Oliver Dowling talk to Jason Oakley about the background, aims & ambitions of Dublin Contemporary 2011
18. Profile. Ghost Modernism. Katherine Waugh reports on ‘Unbuilding’ (21 August 17 October 2010)
19. Art in Public: Profile. Return to Sender. Claire Meaney Talks to Emily Robyn Archer about ‘the Post Room Project’ at Waterford Regional Hospital.
21. Art in Public: Profile. Art or Social Engineering? Aisling Prior reports on Jochen Gerz’s 2 - 3 Streets project for the Ruhr Valley, Germany.
23. Opportunities. All the lastest grants, awards, exhibition calls and commissions.
27. Conference. Joining the Dots. Sara Baume reports on ‘Making in Two Modes’ a conference on the cross-overs between the visual arts and writing, that was held at University College Cork and the Crawford Art Gallery, Cork.
28. Laughism. Laughism. Cartoons by Borislav Byrne.
29. Focus. United State. Maeve Mulrennan, Galway Arts Centre’s Visual Arts Officer reports on the artist-led movement in Galway City.
30. Conference. Things could be Otherwise. Jesse Jones reports on ‘Approaches to Collaborative Arts Practice’ a conversation between Malaysian artist Chu Yuan and Mick Wilson of gradcam, an event held at Dublin Civic Offices.
31. Art in Public: Roundup.
32. Regional Contacts. Visual Artists Ireland’s regional contacts report from the field.
33. Profile. Honouring Creativity & Craft. Anne Callanan talks to Deirdre Quail, acting Curator, FE McWilliam Studio & Gallery. (Archived in our Articles Section)
34. Profile. Architectural Essence. Cliodhna Shaffrey profiles ‘Commonage’ a project merging art and architecture. (Archived in our Articles Section)