“Any person may become a member of the Society provided that they fulfill the criteria set out by the Board from time to time and which are approved by the membership at a general meeting and have paid any subscription fee annual or otherwise as required by The Society and approved at a general meeting.”
- Professional Membership
For any artist who fulfills three or more of the professional status criteria listed below
- Student/Associate Membership
For any emerging artist who does not yet fulfil these criteria
Galleries, arts centres, studios etc may sign up under our ‘Organisation’ rate in order to receive a subscription to magazines and other services.
Individuals & non-artists may sign up as ‘Friends’ of the organisation in order to receive a subscription to magazines and other services.
Professional status criteria:
To qualify as a Professional member you must meet a minimum of three of the below criteria. You do NOT need to fulfil these criteria if you are applying for Associate membership.
- Degree or Diploma from a recognised third level college in Fine Art or an Associated Visual Arts Discipline
- One-person visual arts show(s) (including time based events) in a publically funded (Arts Council, Local Authority, Government funded) visual arts space. Non-visual arts spaces do not qualify unless the exhibition is part of an acknowledged visual arts programme.
- Your visual arts practice had caused your participation in a visual art group exhibition/event which was selected by a jury in which professional artists or recognised curators participated.
- Your visual art work has been purchased by Government, local authority, museum or corporate client for inclusion in a recognised collection.
- Your visual art work has been commissioned by Government, local authority, museum or corporate client for inclusion in a recognised collection.
- Have been awarded a visual arts bursary, residency, materials grant or otherwise grant aided by the Arts Council/Arts Council of Northern Ireland or other funding body
- Have been awarded tax-exempt status by the Revenue Commissioners, or are on schedule D as a self-employed artist in Northern Ireland
Professional Members must provide evidence under each of the areas that they have indicated. Associate members may apply to move to professional membership at any time during their membership.
Further definitions of membership are contained within The Memo & Articles of Association