Visual Artists Ireland understands that the internet provides unique opportunities to participate in interactive discussions and share information on particular topics using a wide variety of social media, such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn. We use these tools for sharing news and updates and answering queries about our services and events. Our participation on social media channels is aimed at contributing to our mission statement of creating a safe and secure space for visual artists to interact and to find out information about exhibitions, events, jobs, and opportunities.
It is our expectation that all users who post to our Social Media Channels act in a respectful manner and do not infringe on the dignity of other users, VAI Staff, and members of the general public. We understand, in certain circumstances, there is failure to understand of the risks posed by misuse of social media. It is easy to mistake freedom of expression and opinion with making posts that are attacking, offensive, slanderous, and based on unresearched opinion. We believe that we have an obligation to protect our reputation and to ensure that interactions are respectful and comply with legal obligations. In order to minimise these risks and to ensure that our resources and communications systems are used only for appropriate purposes, we have prepared this Social Media Policy which outlines use of our social media channels. This Policy operates as an agreement between the User(s) and VAI in relation to the use of our Social Media Channels. By using VAI Social Media Channels the User is consenting to be bound by the current Policy. We may revise the Policy at any time and without notice. Each time the User uses the VAI Social Media Channel(s) the User will be bound by the then current Policy.
We want to encourage our members and users to get in touch with us and other members of the community on VAI’s Social Media Channels. To support this we expect that users will respect the following Code of Conduct which sets out the way in which we expect all users to interact and communicate. It applies to any and all material which You contribute to VAI’s Social Medial Channels.
- Be accurate (where they state facts);
- Be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and
- Comply with applicable law in any country from which they are posted.
VAI reserves the right and has absolute discretion to screen, review, filter, edit, refuse or remove without notice any contributions posted on any VAI Social Media Channel which in our view, acting reasonably (but without any liability for taking such a view, or requirement to prove such a view is reasonable) are, including but not limited to:
- Comments which include offensive, inappropriate or obscene language or content (including images, videos or links);
- Threatening, violent, abusive or insulting statements likely to stir up hatred;
- Personal attacks aimed at VAI staff, agents/contractors acting on behalf of VAI, VAI Members, or other members of the public;
- Material infringing on any patent, copyright, database right, trade mark or other intellectual property right of any other person
- Material which is defamatory of any person;
- Material breaching the data protection, privacy or confidentiality rights of any person;
- Material promoting discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age;
- Spam messages
VAI reserves the right to block any User of the VAI Social Media Channels that breaches the above requirements. A record will be taken and held on file of the violation and may be used as evidence in the extreme case that legal proceedings are undertaken.
Should you have a query as to why your comment(s) or post(s) have been removed We will make every effort to communicate the reasons with you on request. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that VAI does not enter into argumentative discussions on social media and considers direct attacks on any person, organisation, agent or other member of the general public, as outlined above, a case for instant removal from our Social Media Channels.