The Body & Soul Art Director is part of the Festival team and is a key role for three strands of the organisation’s festivals’ programmes including Body & Soul Festival, Solas at Latitude in the UK and Body & Soul at Electric Picnic. Since 2010 Body & Soul festival has run annually in the grounds of Ballinlough Castle, Co. Westmeath, taking place on the annual Summer Solstice.
The Art Director is responsible for successful creative delivery and project management of all three strands of the festival by managing project planning, developing timelines and budgets, and managing the successful execution of all art and decor plans across 3 events. The post holder is responsible for providing an overall design and plan for the site. This includes stages, venue and décor elements as well as the final selection of Art Installations.
Reporting to the Festival Director, with key liaison points across departments including Programme, Art Department, Marketing/Sponsorship Department, and Operations departments, this role also has a number of direct reports (outlined below).
Reports to: Festival Director
Key Liaison with: Operations Manager, General Manager, Site Manager, Production Coordinator, Programme Manager, Administrator.
Direct Reports: Design Consultant, Art Installations Manager, Art Department Intern, Decor Team, Suppliers
Vision Creation & Art Direction
- Develop the overall theme and visual look for the festival in collaboration with the Festival Director & Design Consultant
- Implement creative vision of the festival and produce decor plans for entire site
- Produce storyboards, decor ideas and designs to visualise ideas
- Articulate vision and agreed theme to desired artists, designers, décor team and departments
Art & Bursary Selection
- Review and approve/reject all art installation and design proposals, in collaboration with the Design Consultant and Art Installations Manager
- Finalise deals with all visual artists including budget agreement, ticket agreement, event requirement support, timeline of art installation build and number of staff involved
- Create contracts for all art installations and bursaries outlining all the details of the agreement made
- Develop plan for site decor, decorative flags, venue decor and stage decor
- Coordinate creative collaborations between designers, decor team and other departments
- Write clear and detailed project briefs for the decor team
- Ensure all event requirements for all art & decor elements at all events are ordered correctly and on time
- Manage decorative signage requirements for on-site at events; this involves looking at signage inventories and new signage orders to recruit sign painting team and making a list required decorative signage for each event.
- Recruit team for decor projects and on-site build and take-down of the festivals
- Create schedule for decor projects and finalise schedules and payments with all decor team
- Research and order all materials needed for decor installations
Festival Site Plan & Curation
- Planning and siting the location of art, decor and interactive installations at all events, in collaboration with the Festival Director and Art Installations Manager. This will include site visits to all festival locations.
- Creation of the art & decor map, including flags and decorative signage
- Working with the Art Installations Manager and Lighting Designer to formulate decorative lighting and site lighting plan
- Maintenance of project management software; keep tasks and timelines up to date on software
- Attend regular HOD meetings
- Management of budgets for all 3 events, including event requirements budget
- Adhere to Body & Soul’s financial policies and procedures
- Completing staff accreditation & staff catering forms for all 3 events
- Compile accommodation plan for decor team and artists
- Management of ticket allocations for art department
Scheduling and Planning
- Creating master schedule for the on-site build and take down of the festivals; including arrivals schedule, art installation schedules, rigging schedules, machinery schedules, decor team schedules
- Working closely with the Site Manager and Operations Team to ensure all deliveries are approved ahead of arrival, ensuring machinery and correct equipment has been ordered for the art & decor department
- Compiling plan for storage and transportation from festival to festival
- Responsible for managing the production process of all art & decor installations on site
- On-site liaison between art & decor department and all other departments
- Responsible for articulating vision, schedule and plans to all other direct reports and decor team
- Manage load out of festival and packing for the next events
- Ensure all art & decor related installations, materials, etc. are cleared from the site and packed away safely
- As required, contribute to Body & Soul pitches and idea generation for potential sponsors from an art/ decor perspective.
- For agreed additional creative projects (sponsorship/bursary) oversee design and execution of the agreed installation in collaboration with the art department..
- Practical knowledge of construction and decor in a festival or event environment;
- Experience of planning builds;
- Demonstrable experience of managing excellent communications with staff, stakeholders and artists;
- Demonstrable experience of leading a decor team and projects on budget and on schedule;
- Proven track record in innovative art direction;
- Knowledge of art and design software packages is a bonus;
- Good working knowledge of Google Drive;
- Learning agility for project management software and resource management software.
- Excellent people skills and flexibility in managing creative teams;
- Excellent attention to detail is a must;
- An eye for design and aesthetics;
- Must work well as part of a team, with a range of people;
- Excellent communicator;
- Be able to work under pressure;
- Highly organised administration skills;
- Creative and innovative approach to problem solving.
The role is offered on a contract for services basis for a total fee ranging from E11,530 to E13,550 (depending on experience) and requires a time commitment of 79 days in total from January to September including a total of 28 days onsite at 3 different shows.
Should additional sponsor projects be confirmed an additional fee will be allocated.
Please submit a copy of your CV along with a cover letter outlining your suitability for this position and your vision for the role. All applications should be sent to email@example.com with Art Director Application in the subject title.
Interviews will be held in early December.
In line with our data protection policy we will only use the information that you give to us for recruitment purposes. Your application will be saved on file in the event that another suitable role might arise. Your details will be used for recruitment purposes only.