Two Wicklow-based Associate Artist positions are now open for application at Mermaid Arts Centre in Bray, Co Wicklow.
Open to artists / practitioners in any arts discipline, this is not a standard bursary or residency.
This is about what happens if creative practitioners and artists are embedded in organisations and have enough paid time and brain space to work on their own practice.
Mermaid is committed to finding exciting, meaningful, sustainable and democratic ways to work with artists and communities. This scheme is, in part, a response to ongoing discussions that we are having with artists and freelancers and also the wider conversation happening across the sector about how we can build an arts sector that is fairer, more adventurous and inclusive.
Number of roles available: 2 part-time roles
Hours of Work: 20 hours per week
Contract type: Freelance or PAYE fixed term for 1 year (3 May 2022 to 28 April 2023)
Salary: €17,000 per annum, incl. holidays
What can successful candidates expect from the role?
This is an ongoing experiment, and we will be working flexibly with the appointed artists during the year to shape how the role will work. Successful candidates can expect:
- Weekly wages for 12 months from May 2022 to April 2023.
- Pay based on part-time hours (estimated at 20 hours per week).
- A flexible approach to contracting: we envisage these roles being PAYE (with associated holidays and contributions) but we can facilitate pay arrangements for self-employed artists where required or preferred.
- Access to the human and physical resources available at Mermaid such as space, technical team, and equipment, where availability allows.
- To attend and contribute to Mermaid team meetings (occasionally), either online or in-person
- To contribute to strategic discussions about Mermaid’s future
- To work closely with Mermaid’s Artistic Director to create a support structure which empowers Associate Artists to interrogate, explore, and create their best work
- To attend regular TRANSFORM meetings with Artistic Director and other associate artists, either online or in-person (approx. 1 hour per week)
- Professional experience of making and creating engaging creative artwork and/or experiences for audiences, participants, clients or others
- Some understanding of Mermaid Arts Centre and its work
- Openness to new ideas and different points of view
- Excellent listening and reflection skills
- Ability to communicate about your creative practice
- Managing budgets, no matter how big or small
- Leading your own professional development
- Working with a diverse range of people
- A commitment to sustainability
- Embedding well-being into your practice
How To Apply
Please use the information in this pack to help inform your application.
We are asking interested individuals to submit a short application via this Google Form, including your CV AND 1 side of A4 or a short film or audio file (max. 3 mins) that tells us about your creative practice and why you are interested in this role at Mermaid Arts Centre.
If you have any access requirements or additional needs, please let us know and we will find a way to support and facilitate your application. We are committed to providing as much support as possible to individuals. If you have any questions in relation to filling out the application form or have any access requirements or concerns, please contact us via email@example.com.
You must submit your application by 5pm on Friday 8th April 2022.
A full description of the role is available on the Mermaid website