Job Description and Person Specification
Backwater Artists Group wishes to employ an experienced communications and marketing professional to join our team to devise and implement new communications and marketing strategies, increase the profile of the artist studio complex and our artist members, support our fundraising and sponsorship initiatives and grow audiences.
Established in 1990, by artists for artists, Backwater Artists Group is committed to providing affordable, high-quality and well-managed studios for visual artists to ensure support at key stages of their careers. We provide a stable and supportive working environment for visual artists and access to the supports and skills needed to establish, expand and sustain their studio practice.
Our studio complex is located in Cork City Centre and includes 28 studios, a darkroom, an exhibition/project space, a computer room and a woodwork area. We currently support 67 artists through our studios, our darkroom and our network.
The Backwater Artists Network (BAN) offers a shared city centre focal point and opportunities to connect for professional artists working in isolation from studios in their own homes or in single privately rented studios. Membership of the network presents opportunities for artists to meet each other at social, learning or discursive events and to learn from other invited artists and arts professionals. Visibility, promotion, exhibition and residency opportunities are also on offer, as well as discounted rates for specialist workshops and courses run by BAG.
Key fundraising and sponsorship initiatives include our annual Winter Salon event and our sponsorship scheme. Both initiatives focus on bringing in funds for our artistic and mentorship programmes, which in turn support the practices of artists enabling them to produce high quality, new and innovative work.
Through our Studio 12 exhibition/project space, we aim to increase collaboration and engagement with the wider artistic community and the general public through exhibitions and outreach events.
Main Function of the Role
Backwater Artists Group is now seeking a dynamic and creative Communications and Marketing Co-ordinator. The successful candidate will join a hard-working team who operate in a positive, supportive environment and who care deeply about supporting visual artists at all stages of their careers.
They will support the development and implementation of communications across all platforms to promote the work of studio members, network artists, our programmes, exhibitions, events and fundraising initiatives.
They will work with the team and contracted designers to plan and implement a new bespoke website (delivering in 2022).
They will also contribute positively to the internal communications of the Complex as well as foster excellent external relationships with partners, media and other stakeholders.
- Develop and implement a Digital Marketing Strategy, with a particular focus on the website, social platforms and email marketing to promote and support artist members, network artists, studio activities, events and fundraising initiatives.
- Work with the team, designers and website developers to plan and implement a new bespoke website (delivering in 2022).
- Devise strategies to drive online traffic to the studio website to increase engagement and potential sales.
- Maintain and update website content, which will entail writing and gathering new content as required and liaising with artists to ensure members’ profile pages are kept up to date and relevant.
- Develop a social media strategy including content creation to expand the reach and engagement of our social platforms.
- Manage, write and schedule regular Mailchimp e-bulletins.
- Coordinate the design, print and circulation of all marketing and promotional materials, ensuring strong brand consistency.
- Liaise with artists and team members to gather promotional content and images to inform event marketing and pr materials, press release, print, website, email marketing and social media content.
- Contribute positively to the overall environment and internal communications of the Complex.
- Maintain updated content on relevant external online listings with key information about studio events, activities and fundraising initiatives.
- Organise pr activities and photo shoots and write and circulate press releases regularly.
- Liase with Programme & Outreach Manager and Studio Director to curate and coordinate videography of artists interviews, studio exhibitions and other events. Putting together a videography plan.
- Create, edit and upload video content to Vimeo and social media channels.
- Attend and present at team meetings as necessary.
- Undertake any other duties in line with the responsibilities of the post as requested by the Studio Manager.
- Ensure brand cohesion across marketing communication materials including video
Required Education, Skills and Qualifications
- At least 2 years’ experience in a similar position.
- A Level 8 Degree or higher in a relevant qualification such as Media, Communications, Marketing, English, or Journalism.
- Excellent IT skills – Including Microsoft Word, Teams and Excel.
- Excellent writing skills for all platforms, both traditional and digital.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent administration skills.
- A genuine enthusiasm for the arts in all its forms.
- A confident and professional manner.
- A highly organised and systematic approach.
- The ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Excellent knowledge of marketing for Social Media Platforms including Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram. Knowledge of WordPress, Canva, Mailchimp also a requirement.
- Proficiency in managing social media campaigns, including proven results.
- Experience in developing and managing media campaigns with proven results.
- Knowledge of relevant regulations and legislation pertaining to the role e.g. GDPR.
- A knowledge of national and international arts practice.
- Some experience of pod casting is desirable.
Salary: €16 – €17 per hour depending on experience
Hours: 1 day per week (7 hours, flexible).
This post is subject to a satisfactory 3 month probationary month.
Primarily working from home, though may be required to attend the Complex on occasion, including monthly meetings in Cork City.
To apply: Please send Cover Letter and CV via email to
email@example.com by 5pm, 10 January, 2022.
Please note your information will be stored in compliance with GDPR requirements and will only be used to assess your eligibility for the available position.