VISUAL is an iconic arts centre in the heart of Carlow, with four world-class gallery spaces and 335-seat performance space. As Ireland’s largest gallery space, VISUAL gives access to challenging and excellent contemporary art practice in a context that explores the value, richness and relevance of the arts in our lives. VISUAL are committed to providing meaningful access to contemporary artistic practice of the highest quality through exhibitions, events and activities. The unique scale and regional location allows for ambitious programming and wide-reaching participation opportunities with diverse audiences – local, national and international, online and in person.
PURPOSE OF JOB:
This role is responsible for the technical and staging requirements of all performance and exhibition areas within the building.
JOB REQUIREMENTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- To liaise in advance and provide technical support during Get in, Show and Get out for all theatre shows and to ensure that there is sufficient technical cover provided for incoming shows whilst adhering to a strict budget.
- Liaising with Facilities Manager to ensure that all theatre equipment is in good working order and repairing or replacing equipment as required and within budget.
- Supervision of incoming crews using any of the centre’s spaces.
- Setting and maintenance of the highest standards in the provision of technical support, information, facilities and professional courtesy to all of the centre’s clients.
- Liaising with wider events, programming and marketing teams re planning for upcoming events.
- Liaise with Curator and artists to provide advance planning, technical support and advice related to exhibition installs in advance of gallery openings at the centre.
- Provide Audio Visual expertise
- To work closely with gallery personnel, to roster staff for gallery installs and to head up large scale gallery orientated operations.
- Ensuring Risk Assessments re gallery and theatre installs are carried out, and any issues addressed
- Identifying and addressing further training needs for technical staff
- Monitoring tech/production equipment and liaising with Facilities Manager and Financial Controller re maintenance/repair/replacement needs
- Work closely with Programming team to identify potential professional development/training opportunities within Engagement Programme
Other duties and obligations include:
- Acting as an ambassador and advocate in representing the centre
- Adhering to stated staff policies and procedures, as set down in the staff handbook
- Adhering to procedures relating to the proper use and care of equipment and materials for which the role has responsibility
- Participating in training and development programmes /courses to maintain and improve performance and to assist in identifying self-training and support needs
- Participating and working within a performance management development system process
- Any other reasonable duties or projects that may be required in the role, as assigned by the CEO
- Significant experience in a Production Management for performing and visual arts, or similar, role.
- An in-depth knowledge of the Production process with a proven understanding of the most up to date working practices.
- Excellent IT skills with a sound knowledge of MS Word, MS Excel, Q lab and Sketch up.
- Proven ability to work well under pressure with production, technical and creative teams.
- Excellent interpersonal skills both written and verbal.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
Working hours: 32 hours per week. The nature of this role necessitates regular attendance outside of standard hours on a regular basis. No extra remuneration will be paid for this and the post holder will be expected to manage their working hours efficiently.
Annual Salary: Salary commensurate with skills and experience. Holidays: 20 days per annum. Public Holidays: 9 Public holidays per annum.
Code of Conduct: VISUAL has a commitment to the well-being, safety and dignity of its staff while at work. We operate within the principles of a code of conduct for employees, visiting artists and companies. A spirit co-operation, collaboration and communication is an important part of the identity at VISUAL and staff at all levels are expected to maintain this spirit as a professional priority in their work.
Please send a detailed cover letter and an up to date CV to: email@example.com
The closing date for applications is 5pm on November 28th
Interviews will be held on December 9th at VISUAL Centre for Contemporary Art, Old Dublin Rd., Carlow.
VISUAL is an equal opportunities employer