Butler Gallery is the leading contemporary art gallery and museum with a permanent collection in the South East. We are seeking a dynamic and experienced Visitor Services Assistant.
This is an excellent opportunity for candidates with a demonstrable interest in the arts and cultural tourism at an exciting time as we expand within our new location, Evans’ Home in the heart of Kilkenny City.
If you enjoy working as part of a team, dealing with the general public and have great interpersonal and customer service skills we want to hear from you.
Overall Purpose of this Post:
The Visitor Services Assistant coordinates Visitor Services including the day to day operations of the reception area to ensure the delivery of an exceptional visitor experience and implementation of the Visitor Services retail activities.
Successful candidates will have:
- A minimum of two years’ experience in a relevant area.
- Excellent administration and customer service skills.
- A demonstrable interest or experience in arts, heritage or cultural tourism.
- Ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing, to adults, children and young people.
- With the Visitor Services Manager, work closely with the Butler Gallery Team as required to ensure the delivery of the Butler Gallery’s vision, business plan, and wider strategic objectives.
- Take day-to-day operational responsibility for the visitor experience from meeting and greeting visitors, dealing with visitor queries on-site and over the phone, liaising with tour operators, taking bookings and dealing with issues as they arise.
- To develop a thorough knowledge of the requirements of the visitor experience, the story it tells, the exhibitions, the facilities, and commercial services to ensure the reception area is efficiently managed to deliver the standards and targets expected of a world class visitor attraction.
- To provide feedback and reporting as required regarding the planning and selection of a range of products to sell in the shop, regularly reviewing sales performance to ensure products meet customer demand and maximise the profitability of the retail offer.
- To adopt a creative and dynamic approach to front of house activity maintaining a friendly and welcoming persona at all times and to liaise with the Development Director, Visitor Services Manager and Learning & Engagement Curator to optimise relationships, promotional and content development opportunities as they arise.
- To ensure appropriate levels of staffing are established and maintained at all times to deliver an exceptional visitor experience, making sure that the Visitor Services Volunteer Team have a clear understanding of their roles and responsibilities and are ready and able to operate in a professional, friendly, and efficient manner.
- To deliver guided tours to the general public and special interest groups.
- To assist the Visitor Services Manager in developing and delivering a commercial approach to the running of the Reception area including the commercial growth of the audio tours, venue hire bookings, retail and café operations, liaising with tour groups, booking tours and assisting with events and functions to help to maximise revenue for the Museum.
- On allocated days to act as Duty Manager and key holder to ensure the Museum is opened and locked in accordance with the operational and security procedures.
- To be responsible for the presentation of the reception area of the premises ensuring that high standards are maintained at all times.
- To be responsible for the management and presentation of event spaces at weekend Learning and Public Engagement events.
- To liaise with artists who deliver weekend workshops and activities.
- To manage incoming deliveries and liaise with associated parties where required.
- Provide assistance as required to visitors with additional access requirements, including notification of services available, and description of site mobility.
- Ensure that appropriate financial and cash handling procedures and controls are maintained at all times, and that a full audit trail is maintained and available for inspection.
- Work with the Visitor Services Manager and the Development Director to reach annual revenue and overhead targets for areas of responsibility.
Health & Safety
- To work closely with the Visitor Services Manager and the Health and Safety Officer to ensure the safety of all visitors whilst on the premises and ensure policies and procedures are understood and adhered to by volunteers on site.
- Act as a designated first aider, and ensure that there is an appropriate level of first aid cover.
- Candidate must be willing to be Garda Vetted and undertake a safe recruitment process.
- Candidate must be willing to undertake required training.
Closing date for receipt of applications: 5pm, Monday, April 4, 2022
Applications by email only to: firstname.lastname@example.org