JOB TITLE: Visual Arts Curator
RESPONSIBLE TO: CEO/ Artistic Director
VISUAL Carlow seeks a creative and innovative candidate for the position of Visual Arts Curator. This person will join a vibrant team of creative professionals with a remit to create accessible and intellectually rigorous public programme at VISUAL and on occasion off-site in Carlow.
The Visual Arts Curator will be responsible for the development and delivery of VISUAL’s exhibitions programme. They will have a good understanding of contemporary international curatorial practice and a proven capacity to deliver contextually relevant exhibitions and visual arts programme
VISUAL Centre for Contemporary Art is one of Ireland’s leading contemporary art spaces, an iconic civic arts centre in Carlow Town in the east of Ireland. It comprises world-class gallery spaces and performance facilities and an exceptional programme of local, national and international visual arts practice.
JOB REQUIREMENTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
1. Research, curate and deliver a compelling programme of contemporary visual art, selecting and creating exhibitions, performances and events as required
2. Work with VISUAL’s Learning Curator to develop quality opportunities for audiences and participants to engage with VISUAL’s programme
3. Work with VISUAL’s Production Manager to ensure that the technical aspects of exhibitions are carried out to the highest standards
4. Work with VISUAL’s Marketing and Communications department to create the communication plans for each exhibition and creating written information for VISUAL’s website, PR and printed material
5. Develop and manage VISUAL’s online visual arts programme. Commission programme related editorial for VISUALs web-based Arts and Ideas platform
6. Work with VISUAL’s Artistic Director to develop and maintain VISUAL’s Residency and Art Form Development Programmes
7. Oversee the administration of the visual arts programme including the management of relevant budgets, artists contracts and agreements
8. Explore additional sources of income for the visual arts programme and make funding applications where feasible
9. Function as the visual arts point of contact for VISUAL departments, the public, other institutions, organisations and academic communities
10. Attend visual arts events, conferences and exhibitions nationally and internationally, continuously developing sectoral knowledge and expertise
• Reports to the CEO and Artistic Director
• Serves as an integral part of the VISUAL’s senior management team, which includes department heads in Learning, Production, Performing Arts, Marketing, Front of House and Finance
• Supervises the visual arts exhibition guides, volunteers and all visual arts-related technical personnel
• A minimum of three years curatorial experience, either within an institutional context /or as part of an independent curatorial practice with a track record in producing and curating exhibitions and managing exhibition budgets
• Strong knowledge of contemporary arts scene and trends in Ireland and internationally
• Strong knowledge of learning and engagement practices in the arts
• Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to develop meaningful partnerships
• Excellent communication and writing skills
• Excellent organisational skills, and rigorous sense of detail
• Must enjoy teamwork, be enthusiastic and self-motivation
• Good IT skills
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are asked to send a CV and cover letter outlining their interest to email@example.com
Please put the title of the position ‘Visual Arts Curator’ in the subject heading of your email.
Applications must be received by 5pm on Friday 22nd October 2021.
Interviews will take place on Friday 29th of October 2021.
VISUAL is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants without regard to ethnicity, gender, age or sexual orientation.