Basic Space is delighted to announce the open call for the 2020 Basic Space Artist Residency (BS/AR), in partnership with VOID, Saskatoon, Canada. The residency is supported by VOID Print Studios and by Canada Council for the Arts.
The 2020 BS/AR offers an Irish/Irish-based artist a 1 month residency at VOID in March/April 2020 as part of their Newcomer Zine project. The successful applicant will have 24-hour access to VOID’s print facilities, which include equipment for screen print (both paper and textile-based), relief print, etching, and risograph printing. A small studio space will be dedicated to the BS/AR artist to develop their work. In addition, they will have the opportunity to tour the University of Saskatchewan printmaking facilities and meet with faculty members in Art and Art History.
During the residency the artist will have the opportunity to be part of an outreach project, to engage with a community group once a week to produce zines that share participants’ stories, and to produce their own work in response. The outcomes of the artist’s work with the group as well as their own work, will be included as part of a zine launch event hosted by VOID at the end of the residency.
VOID is a Non-profit screen print and risograph studio founded in 2012 and located in Saskatoon, Canada/Treaty 6. They support local artists and the local arts community through training, provision of space and equipment, and community-outreach programming.
What the resident will receive:
- Small studio space in Saskatoon, Canada
- A 500CAD budget for accommodation
- Access to full printmaking equipment (including silkscreens)
- Printmaking materials (inks, emulsion, chemicals for clean-up)
- Support from Basic Space and VOID team in developing work
- Support in funding application
What is not included:
- Return Flights
- Cotton rag or other printmaking papers
- Sustenance expenses
Expectations of the resident:
- Public facing event during the last weekend of the residency in coordination with a launch of the zines created by newcomers during the residency.
- 1 week Basic Space Instagram takeover during residency.
- Present for our BASIC TALK series at The Hugh Lane Gallery on Friday 8th May 2020 (separate fee provided/offered).
- Present together with Basic Space director as part of the IADT ARC MA programme at the end of April 2020 (separate fee provided/offered).
The BS/AR is a continuation of Basic Space’s commitment to emerging artists through the allocation of residency opportunities, encouraging risk-taking and experimental attitudes in the production and dissemination of new work. We would like to particularly encourage applications by disabled, LGBTQ+ and BAME artists. However, unfortunately the residency space is not wheelchair accessible.
To apply please send a CV, an artist statement and five images of recent work to email@example.com with the reference ‘Basic Space Artists Residency 2020’.
Do you agree for Basic Space to retain your details in their records so that they can include them in other future opportunities that seem relevant? YES/NO
Applicants will hear back by early January 2020.
Image by Carey Shaw