Boyle Sculpture Trail - Public Art Commission - Artist CallDownload File
Roscommon County Council invites submissions from artists for one sculptural artwork as part of a Sculpture Trail. This is funded under Fáilte Ireland’s Developed and Emerging Destination Towns Capital Investment Programme. The scheme will provide a platform for artists to respond creatively to public space, to the history, story and community of Boyle, in particular the Cultural Quarter of Boyle, the location of King House and the Pleasure Grounds. The commissions are also intended to provide opportunities for dialogue and participation with the local community. Representatives of various groups in the town will be involved in selecting the artworks.
The value of each work must be between €7,500 to €10,000. Up to six sculptures will be selected with a total budget of €47,500. One work per artist. This amount is fully inclusive of all costs including fees to the artist, any necessary research, production/realisation, installations, groundworks, insurance, documentation, maintenance file and VAT.
For more information see: Boyle-Sculpture-Trail-Artist-Call.pdf
Artists with experience of creating external sculptures are invited to submit proposals for works which are:
- Professional and contemporary works in sculpture.
- Made in a manner and from materials suitable for permanent exhibition outdoors.
- Works will require low maintenance.
- Artists may submit existing works (provided they have not been exhibited publicly long term)
- Each sculpture should respond to one of six locations and themes as follows:
1. Culture – to be located at the newly developed tiered area in the Pleasure Grounds, along the river, so as to respond to the Steinway Grand Piano in the Main Salon in King House – the window of which overlooks the Pleasure Grounds;
2. The Children’s Playground located in the Pleasure Grounds;
3. The Sports Pitch located in the Pleasure Grounds;
4. Boyle River – to be located close to the Pedestrian Bridge.
5. Boyle History & Heritage – at 2 locations – one along King House Lane, one in the Pleasure Grounds.
Artists should provide the following information as part of their submission for one sculpture:
1. CV: please submit an up-to-date curriculum vitae and contact information.
2. Documentation of work: please submit up to 5 examples of relevant, previous work, including written descriptions, photographs, and where relevant links to videos.
3. Applications will be assessed using the following criteria which should be used as headings in your submission:
– Previous experience of managing/working on outdoor sculptural projects (20/100);
– Quality of concept, artistic merit and relevance to one of the theme outlined and the history and cultural context of Boyle. Include proposed location of artwork together with visuals of potential outcomes for the artwork in situ – digital images or scaled drawings. (30/100);
– Budget detail – value for money with due consideration to methodology, installation details, long term value and impact (30/100);
– Timescale for realisation and projected completion date, inclusive of any research period and proposed approach to consultation and collaboration with key stakeholders including the commissioner and the local community. The installation must be completed by November 2022. (20/100).
Submissions must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 4pm, Tuesday 31st May 2022
Queries can be emailed to the same address.