“Cabin fever (noun) a state characterized by anxiety, restlessness, and boredom, arising from a prolonged stay in a remote or confined place.”
As a result of the first and now the second lockdown, many of us have had to spend time in isolation and confined in our homes, and we’d like artists to respond to this theme by literally taking up residence in our cabin in Derby City Centre.
Artcore’s Gallery, in the centre of Derby, faces Osnabruck Square, (named after Derby’s German twin town of Osnabrück) in which there are three ‘cabins’, small retail units that operated as a café, a flower stall and a newsagent. Working in partnership with Derby City Council we now have the use of the former newsagent, and a budget for artists to take up residence in it for a month at a time between January and June 2021.
Artcore would like artists to propose projects and activities which they can work on in our cabin for a month at a time. We have some specific aims we’d like artists to address:
- To creatively engage with members of the public
- To run around four public workshops for members of the public during each residency
- To enhance and animate the area using your creativity
- To celebrate the people and communities of Derby
Artcore have also suggested some themes that you can respond to, though we are open to suggestion if you have your own ideas.
Artcore are offering each artist:
- An inclusive Artist bursary of £500
- An Artist blog and digital platform throughout the residency to share the progress of the work
- Residency space at our cabin and Artcore Gallery
- A chance to deliver artist talks and workshops at Artcore Gallery and online
- Mentoring and curatorial support throughout the residency
- Publicity and marketing support
We welcome applications from artists working in any visual arts discipline, and with a cross-disciplinary practice.
We expect artists to have a commitment to developing their practice, and to engage in dialogue with Artcore and our audiences and the wider international contemporary arts and cultural sector.