FINALBRIEF EmergingCuratorinResidenceProgrammeDownload File
Kilkenny County Council Arts Office invites applications from emerging curators for their 2020 Emerging Curators Programme. The programme will enable curators to gain direct experience in the field of curating exhibitions for the Arts Office Gallery. This wonderful opportunity will also support the successful candidate in many ways beyond the financial value of the project.
The successful applicant will:
- gain experience and professional development in curating three exhibitions
- gain experience and professional development in managing exhibitions
- develop and expand their artistic and creative networks
- develop and expand their relationships in the culture sector and
- participate in the artistic programming within the city and county of Kilkenny enhancing the cultural offer in Kilkenny to local and national audiences alike
- Be mentored by curator Eamon Maxwell
All of the above will support the development and enhancement of their career. The successful candidate will also benefit from working alongside a long established Arts Department within Kilkenny County Council. They will benefit from the years of experience and expertise of the Arts Officer and her staff.
The successful applicant should:
- Have a degree in fine art or an associated field
- Knowledge and experience of contemporary visual arts in Ireland and beyond
- Existing artist’s networks OR knowledge and contacts with emerging visual artists across the county and country
- An understanding of the issues facing visual artists in developing their practice
- Have demonstrable curatorial experience (albeit limited experience)
- have proven project management skills (albeit limited experience)
- Proven ability to build relationships with artists, communities and existing and new audiences
- Knowledge of the artistic vitality of Kilkenny
Curators fee incl. expenses €6,300 There is a separate budget for the exhibitions. Full breakdown will be provided to the successful candidate The curator in residence will work on a freelance basis and will invoice Kilkenny County Council in three stages.
The curator in residence will be expected to:
- Curate and deliver three, six week exhibitions at Kilkenny Arts Office Gallery. The successful candidate will work with the Arts Office to realise the exhibitions.
- Research and engage the artists to be a part of the three exhibitions and organise the logistics for each exhibition.
- Collate and compile the marketing and communications for all exhibitions
- Work with the artists to write the texts, the wall text and captions for the exhibitions
- Organise one group / public visit per show (budget dependant). The resident curator will utilise the Arts Office existing networks and contacts to support the in realisation of associated events, they will also endeavour to forge new relationships.
- Work closely with the Arts Office to manage all aspects of the exhibitions working within the constraints of the building.
- The exhibition programme must include a minimum of one audience development / engagement initiative per exhibition. The curator must be cognisant of working inclusively when organising such initiatives, taking local groups, new communities, young people and diversity into consideration.
- Meet all exhibition deadlines provided by the Arts Office and any media outlets
How to apply:
- Maximum 500-word statement / letter of interest outlining your curatorial rationale / approach and how your programming will
- benefit Kilkenny artists
- benefit Kilkenny and its creative sector and wider community
- engage with and build audiences
- 250 words statement outlining
- how the opportunity would benefit their own career path as an emerging curator
- Up to date CV Max two pages, please include details / images of previously curated exhibitions
- Two professional referees
Applications will be accepted by post or email PDF format only. The file must not exceed 15MB
Please send completed application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
You will receive an acknowledgement of receipt for your application. If you do not receive this e mail within 24 hours of the deadline, please contact the Arts Office on 056 779 4547.
Read full brief here: EmergingCuratorinResidenceProgramme.pdf
Image. Artist Doireann Ní Ghrioghair, The Encounter that Never Was. Curated by Leah Corbett 2019