Exposure welcomes diverse and innovative submissions from photographers and visual artists around the world who incorporate, celebrate or challenge the photographic medium within their practice. Submissions will be viewed by our juror and the Exposure team, and selected works will be shown as part of the 2022 Exposure Photography Festival in Calgary, Alberta at Contemporary Calgary – a significant visual arts destination dedicated to modern and contemporary art.
All those who submit their work will:
– Have the opportunity to be featured on the Exposure Photography Festival curated Instagram account reaching audiences worldwide! Exposure will be sharing examples of strong submissions from June – September. To enhance your chance of being featured on our platform, please make sure you submit your work early.
– Gain visibility with the juror and Exposure team.
Those who have been selected by the Juror will:
– Be invited to become involved with the exhibition’s related programming – such as online events, artist talks, exhibition tours, group critiques and more!
– Be invited to show selected work in a public exhibition presented on Pattison Outdoor digital billboards located in the City of Calgary.
– Have their name and website link featured on the Exposure website as an artist profile, reaching audiences worldwide.
– Have the opportunity to win one of the Exposure Awards, as listed below.
– Receive an artist fee of $158 CAD.
– Potentially receive an artist bursary to help support production costs pending successful funding. If we are awarded this funding, we will share detailed information with you as soon as possible.
– Receive a 20% discount with Exposure’s 2022 print partner ABL Imaging Group.
ABOUT THE JUROR
Julie Crooks is Curator, Arts of Global Africa and the Diaspora at the Art Gallery of Ontario. She holds a PhD from the Department of History of Art and Archaeology at the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), University of London, UK. Since joining the AGO in 2017, she has curated a number of significant exhibitions, including Free Black North (2017), Mickalene Thomas: Femmes Noires (2018), and presentations from the permanent collection such as Photography, 1920s–1940s: Women in Focus (2019–2020). She has actively participated in bringing works by Black artists into the AGO’s collection, including Dawoud Bey, Paul Kodjo, Ming Smith, Malick Sidibé, David Zapparoli, and most notably the Montgomery Collection of Caribbean Photographs, acquired in 2019. Julie has also maintained an active presence outside the AGO. She co-curated Here We Are Here: Black Canadian Contemporary Art at the Royal Ontario Museum in 2018. She is also a founding Board member of Black Artists Network in Dialogue (BAND), where she also curated several exhibitions including, Ears, Eyes, Voices: Black Canadian Photojournalists, 1970s–1990s (2017), and she is a founding member of the Black Curators Forum which launched in 2019 to advocate for and support Black curators working in Canada.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
The annual Exposure Photography Festival presents exhibitions that showcase photographic work by internationally renowned practitioners, alongside emerging and established talent from Alberta. The festival provides an exciting, innovative meeting place for photographers and art lovers to connect with one another, along with curators and photography professionals from around the world. Exposure 2021 received 878,355 visits and welcomed audiences local and international, loyal and new. From New Zealand to Mexico, South Korea to Zimbabwe, Uruguay to Hungry, Exposure grew its audience worldwide with members based in 86 different countries engaging with our online exhibitions and events. Exposure 2020 received 859,543 in-person visits to its exhibitions from Exposure’s local and international audience members. The festival brings together people of all ages to celebrate Alberta’s rich photography scene and thriving creative communities.
COMMENTS BY EXHIBITING ARTISTS
“Loved being part of this (Exposure 2021)! I’ve never been so supported by a festival!”
“I have been so honoured to be part of Exposure 2021 – loved the billboard-exhibition! I really appreciated the personal care you invested in each artist. I felt very welcomed.”
Mirja Maria Thiel
TESTIMONIALS BY INDUSTRY LEADERS
“Exposure’s respect for photography and those artists resonates throughout the city. The programming is exceptional and inspiring. If you are a supporter of photography and the arts, mark this festival on your to-do list and make your way to Calgary.”
Dave Shelley, Co-Founder of Photoville
“Taking place in and around its home of Calgary, the 2021 edition promises to deliver the best in emerging and established photography talent from Canada and around the world.”
Daniel Milroy-Maher, British Journal of Photography
“Visiting Exposure Festival for the first time in 2020 I was impressed by their multifaceted approach to photography and diverse programme. Observing the amount of care and passion that goes into their festival made me sure I was in good hands.”
Amelie Schüle, Projects & Programming at FOAM, previously Curator of UNSEEN
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Please see our website www.exposurephotofestival.com/2022ioc
If you have any questions please email Exposure’s Coordinator, Bethany Kane, at Beth@ExposurePhotoFest.com.
Deadline: 10 September