The INHABIT Artist in Residence Programme of the Max Planck Institute for Empirical Aesthetics invites artists from various disciplines to collaborate with the institute’s team of scientists and researchers in Frankfurt, Germany. The integration of artistic thinking and knowledge as reflective practices in their own right is an important dimension of the institute’s mission. For this, the presence of art and the inspiration and challenge of artistic practice are essential. The interaction between the different perspectives creates a mutually productive space for both artists and scientists to collaborate in.
For this reason, INHABIT invites artists to spend three months creating new work, or further developing an existing project, in a scientific research environment. Openness to the mission of the institute and interest and readiness to work together with individual researchers or research groups are naturally preconditions. During the residency, the institute will provide space, resources, and facilities for productive experimentation, dialogue, and collaboration.
Work developed during the residency will be presented in cooperation with various local arts institutions in the form of an exhibition, performance, concert, or other mode of presentation, and complemented by discursive formats.
The upcoming residency periods are: April – July 2022, and September – December 2022.
The institute offers:
- An artist’s fee of 8000 Euro.
- Accommodation fee of 2000 Euro.
- Production budget depending on the project.
- Technical and administrative support for the realisation of the final project.
- Travel costs to/from and in Frankfurt.
- Collaboration with scientists and researchers.
- Access to the Institute’s library, sound studio, and scientific facilities.
- Curatorial support during the residency.