Cork County Council Library and Arts Service invite proposals for its LHQ Gallery 2020/21 visual art exhibition programme
• This callout is open to emerging and established professional artists, curators and arts organisations.
• Exhibitions take place on a monthly basis. Exhibition proposals should be for 4 weeks duration. In certain circumstances (performance work, for example) consideration will be given to proposals for shorter periods.
• Three days will generally be allocated for installation and one day for de-installation. This time should be factored into the general four week allocation
• Artists working in any visual art or craft practice, including, but not limited to, painting, print photography, video, mixed media, sculpture, ceramics, metals, textiles etc
• Proposals for solo, two person, or group shows are welcomed
• While preference will be given to artists based in the Cork County administrative area, proposals are also welcome from artists based elsewhere in Ireland or living outside the state
• Solo or group show proposals from artists that have exhibited in the LHQ within a period of three years are not eligible.
• Successful applicants may be asked to participate in a maximum of two paid public engagement events, for example an “in conversation” or perhaps a workshop. Garda Vetting is required for any workshop for under 18 year olds.
• The specific details of this public engagement will be mutually agreed between the successful applicant and the Arts Office.
What they offer:
• Artist Exhibition Payment Right (for professional artists) will be negotiated and agreed upon
• Specific expenses (to be negotiated at contract stage; this will depend on the scale and context of the proposal) TBC
• Limited PR provided
• 0% Commission on sales of work•Curatorial advice may be available
•Exhibition Launch – a limited budget may be available for launches and will be agreed with the Arts Office
• Any Installation/de-installation costs where necessary would be agreed between the exhibitor and LHQ Gallery Committee
Information Site visit day
The Arts Office will host a general site visit to the Gallery on Thursday 23rd January to introduce the space and answer any specific questions. There are two meeting slots: 11.30am – 12.30pm and 2.30pm – 3.30pm. To book a place for this, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. They regret facilitated gallery visits cannot be accommodated outside of these times.
To apply, please supply four hard copies of the following: to the Arts Office, clearly marked ‘Open Call Application’.
• A concise outline of the proposed exhibition (400 words maximum)
• Detailed CV for each artist that may be involved
• Examples of previous work (no more than 20 images in total) Images to be supplied by memory stick or CD Rom
• In the case of group exhibitions; all artists intending to exhibit should be identified by at least one image.
• All digital supporting material submitted should be PC/Microsoft Office compatible.
• An approximate insurance value for the exhibition should be included. If successful, a full schedule of the value of the exhibited work will be required.
• Where new work is being proposed, please include a clear outline text not to exceed 400 words.
Please include as much detail as possible at this stage, as to material, scale and production with sketches of intended layout in relation to gallery space.
Applications will be evaluated using the following criteria:
• Suitability and feasibility of proposal (50/100)
• Quality of previous work (50/100)