In the celtic agrarian calendar Spring begins on 1st February, Imbolc, St Bridget’s Day. Here in Inishowen there is a strong connection to this day and the traditions associated with it. At this time we announce an open call to present temporary artworks throughout Swan Park, Buncrana.
The park will just be beginning to emerge from deep winter and this outdoor group show will quietly awaken our senses incorporating light, sound and movement.
This open call seeks four artists living and working in Ireland to create sensory, temporary outdoor artworks that compliment the site, specifically its association with Swan Mills, who through its associated Buncrana Electricity Supply Company, was the first town in Ireland to provide clean, hydro-generated electricity to the town from 1905 to 1954.
Please note the following in relation to the biodiversity and safety of those using the site
- The biodiversity of the park must be protected, it will not be possible to nail/screw into living trees
- No overnight lighting in the park (any lighting would need to be turned off each evening after a certain time)
- It is not possible to install ‘in-stream’
- Artwork(s) will need to be robust for an outdoor location on the Wild Atlantic Way
- There are newly surfaced paths where the public can safely enjoy the park it is preferable that the artwork is accessible from here
- DCC will not be in a position to assist if anything does get damaged by the public.
Fee to each of the selected artists €1000 to cover all aspects of production, installation, equipment, deinstallation.
Artlink will provide limited technical assistance, marketing, audience engagement activities and professional documentation.
Artworks show be installed for 1st February 2022 and taken down on 28th February 2022
- Artist is living and working in Ireland
- Proposal considers the biodiversity and safety measures in relation to the site
- Proposal considers hydro-generated electricity
- Proposal is of high artistic quality
- Proposal is feasible in terms of timescale and resources
To apply please send CV with contact details
A proposal outlining the work proposed, how it relates to the site, the theme and how it will be achieved(500 words approx)
Examples of previous works (links to website/images/links to moving image)
Information and a map can be found here https://www.inishview.com/activity/swan-park/.
Send via email to email@example.com before 20th December 2021