Mophradat is actively looking for ways to shift access to opportunities. Opening up its venue in Athens as a summer retreat for artists and their families to live together, where artists can work and children can play in an experiment of communal living, is one attempt at doing so. Three artists (and partners) with young children will be invited to spend a month-long residency in the venue. The format will allow for shared childcare and afford working space and time to the residents, all within a safe social environment, with resources, time, skills and stories made common. As the experience unfolds, Mophradat will use the opportunity to engage residents in further explorations of the theme of motherhood.
- The main applicant must be from or have origins in the Arab world;
- They must be a professional working artist, writer, or curator, and working on a specific project;
- They must be at present a primary (co-)caregiver and planning to travel with no more than two children under the age of five who will join them in residence (due to space and logistical constraints, we anticipate only being able to accommodate family units of maximum two caregivers and two children);
- They must have an interest in communal living, including sharing, compromising, and contributing to everyday household responsibilities;
- Sharing a common studio rather than a private workspace should be compatible with their practice.
Offered by the residency:
The Athens venue comprises four spaces that can be used as bedrooms, one collective working area for the artists, a common play space for the children, shared kitchens and bathrooms, a small garden and large terraces. In addition to accommodations, Mophradat will cover the round-trip travel for the entire family unit and provide a group stipend to cover the shared daily costs, including food and basic housekeeping needs.
Deadline: March 25, 2021
Where: Athens, Greece
Period: June 14 to July 15, 2021
How to Apply:
You can apply by filling in an online form here. (Please note that you can’t save your application online; we recommend that you work offline and paste your answers into the form.) Once you will have submitted your online form, you will receive an automatic confirmation email.