SciArt Residency is a residency programme jointly established by Kalamari Klub and IsoQuant, encouraging proposals by artists and enthusiasts who are aiming to develop a body of work based on creation, collaboration and experimentation within an artistic research process. The residency is scheduled for September to October 2021 and located in Heidelberg, Germany.
A central part of the residency will be active cooperation and exchange with scientists in the field. Before the beginning of the residency, the selected artist is invited to give a short presentation about their previous projects and research interests in order to initiate a conversation between scientists working within the CRC and the artist. During the residency, contact persons within IsoQuant and Kalamari Klub will be available to support collaboration, and the artist will be given the opportunity to further develop their research project and focus on their work.
Key features included in the SciArt Residency:
- Access to fully equipped darkroom laboratory (black-and-white & colour photography).
- Network of scientists, physicists and artists.
- Accommodation (apartment) in Heidelberg for the duration of the residency.
- Coverage of travel costs to and from the residency.
- Coverage of material costs during the residency.
- Artist stipend of 700€ / month.
Additional funding for an exhibition, talk, workshop or other form of presentation of the work done during the residency is available.
The application is open to all artists and photographers working with analogue and experimental photography, as well as all those who are working within science-influenced art and photography. While affinity for scientific topics is of advantage, no science knowledge is required. The minimum age at date of application is 18 years.
All applicants are asked to send their application in digital format. The application can be submitted in English or German. In order to apply, please provide the following documents:
- Application form (Find here)
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
- Letter of Motivation: tell us why you are applying and what you would like to work on during the residency (max. 1000 words).
- Portfolio: an overview of your projects, publications, research interests, your website and any other type of media that shows your work. Please include relevant dates and titles.
Please e-mail all your application documents in one zipped folder, labelled „sciart_residency_lastname_firstname“ to firstname.lastname@example.org. If your .zip file exceeds 15MB, please provide a download link instead (Dropbox, WeTransfer, etc.). If you wish to submit additional physical material (prints, publications, work samples, etc.), please contact us in advance via email@example.com for further information.
The deadline for all applications is Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 23:59 CET. The successful artist will be selected on the basis of their submitted material, artistic merit and research proposal by a jury composed of experts from the Arts and Sciences alike. Applicants will be notified of their status by March 31, 2021.
Deadline: 28 February 2021