Creating a Sustainable Global Society, Transforming Through Digital Technology, Building a Healthy World, and Empowering Humanity are the four strategic themes underpinning UCD’s 2020-2024 Strategy. These themes will shape research, teaching and learning across the university and the way we behave and function as a community and as an institution. UCD are delighted to invite expressions of interests from professional artists to engage with these themes through a one year residency supported by the College of Social Sciences and Law.
Art practice, as a process of understanding through making, is a unique form of research in the university context. They particularly welcome applications from artists who are interested in situating their practice and contributing additional perspectives within a community of researchers, students and staff.
The principal aims of the scheme are to support mutual exchange between the artist and researchers across College of Social Sciences and Law, to explore areas of research, current and prospective, through the lens of artistic practice.
Research in the College is concerned with overcoming societal challenges by understanding the past, present and future behavior and interactions of individuals in societies, organisations and cultures. The residency will support the artist to create work that explores the social/political/cultural/economic factors influencing sustainable human behaviour.
The College comprises nine Schools of Archaeology, Economics, Education, Geography, Information and Communication Studies, Sutherland School of Law, Philosophy, Politics and International Relations, Psychology, Sociology and the School of Social Policy, Social Work and Social Justice.
The residency will be split into two phases over the 12 month period;
- Research and Development of proposal (3-6 months, duration to be agreed in consultation with the artist)
- Delivery of proposal
What is offered
- a stipend of €10,000
- 24 hour access to studio space at UCD Parity Studios
- cross-disciplinary peer support through monthly artists in residence process meetings
- access to UCD researchers, library, lectures and other university resources
Please submit your expression of interest as a single pdf labeled; [Your Name] UCD College of Social Sciences and Law
Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include the following information in this order;
6. Tell us about yourself
7. Your process
8. How you intend to use the studio
– Your primary use of the studio space, for example – a space to physically make work, a research desk, a meeting place etc.
– Why you want to undertake a residency in UCD College of Social Sciences and Law, in particular?
– Description of your proposed project including the key area of research/practice you’re interested in
– and how you would make your process visible/known to others
9. Existing Commitments – Please specify commitments you have to other work, residencies, exhibitions/performances, conferences, research/education in 2020/2021
10. Examples of previous work
For more information on what to include in your application see: ucdartinscience.com/social-sci-law-open-call/…