WE ONLY WANT THE EARTH PROJECT AWARD 1
A4 Sounds in partnership with Firestation Artists’ Studio and Dublin Central Housing Action invite applications from artists who are experiencing or have experienced homelessness – this could be any form of homelessness including living in emergency accommodation, living in hostels, sleeping rough, as well as sofa-surfing – for a six-month project award as part of the We Only Want the Earth 2020 programme. The award will run from January to June 2020. The award opportunity aims to support an artist or group of artists based in Ireland to develop their arts practice.
ABOUT WE ONLY WANT THE EARTH
We are living through a time of sudden and unpredictable social change caused by interlinked issues of global warming, the collapse of the neoliberal order, a resurgence of violent misogyny and nationalism, growing inequality, housing and homelessness crises, and the growth of ecofascism. We Only Want the Earth is a 12-month programme of awards, exhibitions, and events that seeks to interrogate the goals and strategies of social change: what kind of society do we want and how should we get there?
More information about our programme here.
ABOUT THE AWARD
A central aim of the We Only Want the Earth programme is to give material support and a platform to artists who are often silenced, or who are spoken about rather than listened to. As part of meeting this aim, this 6-month supported project award will support an artist or group of artists who are experiencing or who have previously experienced homelesness to a develop and exhibit a body of work, and will provide the selected artist or group of artists with an opportunity to make contacts and identify resources that might help them to further develop their artistic practice.
Please note that the artist(s) are free to work on any topic of their choosing; there is no requirement that the work deal with issues of homelessness.
WHAT THE AWARD INVOLVES
The award provides free 24-hour access to our shared studios at A4 Sounds, to work on a focused artist-led project that responds to theme We Only Want the Earth.
The award includes a stipend and artist fees of €3000, an activities budget up to €2000* and access to a range of professional development and technical supports. The award also allows the artist(s) access to the facilities at A4 Sounds, including sculpture workshop, photography darkroom, and printing suite. Gallery space and a materials/exhibition budget of up to €1,000 will be provided to support an exhibition or series of events during the last month of the residency.
Throughout the residency, advice and mentorship will be provided by A4 Sounds technicians and curators, a dedicated community engagement worker, and representatives from Firestation Artists’ Studios (FSAS), Dublin Central Housing Action (DCHA), and consulting artist Kerry Guinan.
This award does not include a dedicated studio space, but it does include access to all shared studio spaces and facilities and therefore is open to groups of artists to apply.
*The activities budget is imagined for for artists working collaboratively or in a socially engaged way to disseminate their work during the award in the form of talks, workshops or actions that may carry additional costs including fees for other speakers or facilitators. This budget may not apply to all applicants.
Please note: this residency does not include accommodation as part of the award. Due to difficulties sourcing affordable accomodation in Dublin, we envisage that the award would be best suited to artists who are already based in or near to Dublin. However, all applications will be considered.
AIMS + EXPECTATIONS OF THE AWARD
What A4 expects from artists:
- To be available to work from the studio for the duration of the award.
- To participate in studio life and take full advantage of resources and learning opportunities available.
- To disseminate their work in at least 2 ways. Examples of this could be:
- Exhibition in the A4 Gallery
- Article or Podcast
- Interview or documentary video
- Curating an event
- Intervention or Action
- The artist(s) should document their progress and make the documentation available to A4 for use.
What the artist (or artist group) should expect:
- To be provided with a monthly stipend towards materials and residency costs. Total €2500
- To be provided with artist fees for exhibiting a body of work. Total €500
- To be provided an additional exhibition budget to cover some or all of dissemination costs. Up to a maximum of €1000
- To be provided with an additional budget for activities taking place during the award and where appropriate to cover the costs of professional fees of collaborators. This could include artists talks, panels, workshops or art actions. Please note this may not be applicable to all applicants. Up to a maximum of €2000
- Ongoing support throughout the residency from the A4 team and partner organisations
- To be provided with 24/7 access to the studio including shared workspaces, facilities and equipment.
- To be given suitable storage for works and project material.
- Training and support where needed on available equipment and facilities.
- Free participation in all our public workshops and courses for the duration of the residency.
- Access to gallery space or other areas for dissemination of work
Unfortunately, the A4 Sounds studio building is not fully accessible. The studio space and bathrooms are accessed via a flight of stairs which may provide difficulties for people with movement impairments. We understand that this may exclude some artists from applying for the award, and we apologise for this. We hope to source funding to make the building more accessible in future.
For more information and to make an application please visit our website.