Merlin Woods Per Cent for Arts BriefDownload File
The Board of Management of Merlin Woods Primary School wishes to commission public artwork(s) under the Per Cent for Art Scheme, funded by the Department of Education and Skills.
They are a new and developing school located on the Doughiska Road, on the east side of Galway city. We cater for the children of the Good Shepherd Parish, which encompasses the communities of Doughiska, Roscam and Ardaun. Having opened with just 16 children on 1st September 2010, we now cater for 450 children.
The budget is €33,000 this is to cover design, supply and installation of art works, inclusive of all associated costs including VAT.
- The commission is open to all art forms for this project, with the proviso that any physical artwork within the grounds of the school needs to be robust and have regard for public health and safety.
- The commission may comprise a single piece of art from one artist or multiple pieces from a number of artists.
- The artwork must reflect the ethos and spirit of the school and be cognisant of the location and setting.
- Artwork is to be completed during the school calendar year 2020, or if an ongoing project may be extended over a longer period subject to agreement between artist and school Board of Management.
- The Board of Management may decide after the initial Stage One to split the funding across a few suitable projects across different Art forms also. This should be considered when tendering also.
The selection process for this project will comprise of an open competition. All interested professional artists at any stage of their career or experience are welcome to tender. Selection will be a two-stage process and will be made by a panel, based on the information supplied by the applicant. Outline proposals are required for Stage 1. The Selection Panel will consist of nominees from the school community and an independent artist.
Applicants must submit
- A plan outlining general ideas for the commission and the artistic concept of the proposed work. (Please limit your response to 1500 words and 10 images)
- An up-to-date C.V.
- Selection of examples of recent work (web links or e-file)
- Examples of previous commissions and/or references
The shortlisted candidates who move to stage two will be paid a concept development fee of €500 (including VAT and all other charges) to submit an outline of their proposal and concept. The proposal will include a detailed breakdown of all costs.
The Selection Panel will consist of nominees from the school community and an external art expert.
Submissions to be made by email to the school at: email@example.com