South Dublin County Council would like to invite proposals for a highly visible, sculptural artwork at Glenview Roundabout, Tallaght on the N81. The commission is part of a large scale infrastructure project N81 Landscape Improvement Scheme and will be the first of three commissions in specified locations along the route.
This initial project at Glenview Roundabout should be a distinctive inviting gateway piece that marks the main avenue of approach into Tallaght town centre, the business and residential heart of South Dublin County. Submissions should demonstrate the County’s energy and dynamism, reflected in new residential developments, re-developments and increasing cultural diversity, in a fresh and colourful way. The County’s rich history with its young and vibrant present, are key to the identity of the County.
Please read the full Artist Brief: N81-Artists-Brief-1.pdf
N81 Public Art Commission Route
It is planned to commission three public art works as part of the N81 Landscape Improvement Scheme at three specified locations.
Identified on the map are the 3 key locations where public art commissions are proposed along the length of the N81. Photos and site maps are included in the Artist Brief, Appendix 2.
- Location A: Jobstown, West Tallaght
- Location B: Entrance to Sean Walsh Memorial Park, Tallaght Village
- Location C: Glenview Roundabout, Tallaght
It is hoped the artworks at the three locations will reinforce the sense of a route, which gives insight to the characteristics of the area. These could be a series of works or individual works which are linked visually or by a theme. As part of this two stage commissioning process for N81 Glenview Roundabout, Tallaght, artists may also present outline concepts for linking their proposal to some or all of the other commission locations.
In commissioning an artist for Location C Glenview Roundabout, South Dublin County Council hope to appoint this artist as preferred candidate for some or all of the additional commissions. A Development Stage will follow with the preferred candidate and South Dublin County Council to approve proposals for additional artworks/projects.
It should be noted that South Dublin County Council will reserve the right to launch an alternative commission process for any of the two additional locations and may appoint different artists to each commission following Stage 2 or Development Stage.
The value of the initial commission at Location C – Glenview Roundabout is €50,000. This amount is fully inclusive of all costs including fees to the artist, any necessary research, production/realisation, installations, insurance, documentation, maintenance file and VAT.
The two additional commissions at Locations A and B, will have a budget of €45,000 each. Further details to be finalised at Development Stage.
This is an open submission 2 Stage competitive process. Stage 1 is open to any artist. It is an initial expression of interest process that will result in the shortlisting of a maximum of 5 artists who will progress to Stage 2.
All Stage 2 shortlisted artists (maximum of 5) will be paid a fee of €1000 for completing Stage 2 of the submission process.
Artists interested in submitting Stage 1 applications should complete the online application form that will request:
- Summary of your proposal for the commission at Location C Glenview Roundabout, Tallaght (max 50 words)
- Outline your concept and how you will approach to the commission (max 500 words)
- Outline why you have applied for this opportunity and how you feel this proposal will best suit the N81 Scheme (max 150 words)
- Indication of how this commission proposal would have the potential to expand from the initial proposal at Location C- Glenview Roundabout to the other commissions locations along the route (max 150 words)
- Examples of three previous projects or relevant works. Include dates and locations (max 150 words)
Support Material (upload files)
- An indication of budget breakdown
- A CV
- Early stage visualisations or technical drawings
- Images of previous work
Applications can be made via the online platform at submit.link/
Closing date for submissions is 5pm on the 5th of April 2021. Late submissions will not be accepted.
The Selection Panel for Stage 1 will be composed from the following:
- Representatives of SDCC Project/Design Team
- A local public representative
- Two external art experts (artist and/or curator)
- SDCC Arts Officer
- SDCC Conservation Architect
Applicants are welcome to make enquiries regarding the commission. Answers to questions of a factual nature and not relating to conceptual or aesthetic questions will be shared on the application website.
Queries should be sent via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for queries is Tuesday 23rd March 2021 at 12:00pm.