This Surrealist Drawing course follows a 5 week programme that will run throughout February and beginning of March 2020.
The aim of the course is to explore 5 different Surrealist drawing techniques in order to loosen up the imagination and increase your confidence in drawing and self-expression.
The course will be structured as follows:
- Cadavre exquis (exquisite corpse): Surrealist drawing and writing game that calls for collaboration in drawing hybrid creatures and compositions.
- Frottage (rubbings): Using various textures to create novel and unexpected images.
- Decalcomanie (ink blotting): Creating ink and paint blots to reveal hidden shapes and figures that will form the basis of your image.
- Automatic drawing: Drawing freely and continuously, letting mind and hand run together.
- Synaesthetic drawing: Expressing other senses (taste,hearing etc…) through the medium of drawing.
Each session will begin with a small introductory talk where we will present the technique, its context, major artists that made use of the technique and further directions you can explore in your own work.
We welcome everyone on this course, from total novice to professional. Everyone can benefit from the liberating effects of experimental drawing.
All sessions will be held at Vault Artist Studios in Belfast.
We provide basic materials such as paper, charcoal and pencil, however we would encourage you to bring your own sketchbook and other materials (pastel, pencil, coloured pencil etc…) if you so desire.
Tea, coffee and snacks will also be provided.