This course is ideal for complete beginners to printmaking, artists seeking to use their existing skills in a new way, printmakers seeking to experiment with a non-toxic, tactile process, & anyone who would like to try something new that can then be continued at home with a minimal amount of equipment.
Monoprinting is a low tech, easy to understand printmaking technique that involves applying ink to the surface of a smooth plate to create images. With simplicity comes freedom! The beauty of monoprints is that the application of ink can result in many different effects & results & the process has a very painterly, experimental quality to it. Unlike other forms of printmaking, each monoprint is entirely unique.
During this engaging one day course, tutor Áine Finnegan will guide participants through several ink application techniques. The course will teach different monoprint techniques & styles including:
• Additive – Drawing directly/ working into an inked surface using a range of tools to create different marks before printing.
• Subtractive – Applying a sheet of paper over the inked plate and making marks on the back of the piece of paper The pressure will lift ink from the acrylic sheet to leave an image of what you have drawn on your paper.
• Painting with Ink – Directly onto a clean plate before printing over another printed background.
• Stencils – Allows for certain areas to remain clear or to be filled in with other colours/ mark-making.
• Textured monoprints – Incorporating the use of textured surfaces such as papers, feathers etc. into your prints.
Each participant can experiment with a combination of techniques and will finish the course with a small selection of their own handmade prints.
Please note that in order to maximise the learning opportunities within this one-day course, all plates supplied/ created will be A4 or smaller.
Use of all tools and materials are included in the course fee and we encourage participants to bring any collages/ sketches/ ideas that they may like to work from.
LP will provide all course participants with its COVID policy in advance of the course.
Áine Finnegan is a printmaker and designer working in the field of visual communication.
A past joint recipient of LP’ Graduate Printmaking Bursary, her work features in multiple private collections.
Contact LP on (061) 311806/ email@example.com
Please note that places on all LP courses are limited.