SONIA’S TREES (2018-2021) CREATIVE DOCUMENTARY AND ART-BASED AWARENESS CAMPAIGN ON ECO-SUSTAINABILITY:
SCREENING by visual poet artist Letizia Lopreiato, at Studio 6 Venue, Temple Bar Gallery + Studios, Thursday 23 September 2021 at 6.30pm IST
The artist’s new visual poetry project and its publication, come as a result of three years of creative work, and it launched as part of Photoireland Festival 2021 Open Program following this year’s theme “Food”, with 106 attendees to her launch talk on-line on July 22nd.
The project has been designed by the artist as a multi-location off-line and on-line art based awareness campaign on the topic of eco-sustainability, running from July to September 2021. It saw a solo show at Gallery of Modern Art Waterford Gardens, thanks to the kind support of the Waterford Arts Council, City and County Offices, on August 7th to August 11th. The event was part of Letizia Lopreiato’s residency at GOMA during the month of August 2021.
Sonia’s Trees visual poetry solo exhibition and art-based awareness campaign is a mobile show moving from location to location. The artist’s project in its event format, as well as all in the media (35mm photography, poetry and spoken word, Super 8 film) and materials (recycled material for the show’s prints and seeds’ art packs) used for it, represents Letizia’s support to ENVIRONMENTAL ARTIVISM. Her ART ACTION through this project is designed to share its message with as many people as possible.
THE ARTIST’S AIM WITH THIS PROJECT:
It is the one to reach out to and above all to engage with, the widest possible audience, both in and out the art sector. Letizia Lopreiato’s artivism promotes the cause of reforestation of Ireland thanks to its native trees and seeds in society, by involving not only art galleries within the photography and visual arts industry, but also shops, cafes, bookshops and even music venues, between the counties of Dublin and Waterford in Ireland.
Sonia’s Trees main mission: the one of connecting Ireland’s urban communities with its eco-sustainability cause, whilst this visual art project works as a platform to ignite a conversation on the topics of:
– The City-Country duality in Ireland, and its connection with eco-sustainability.
– The politics of food in the country, and Ireland’s reforestation vision and mission using its native seeds and trees.
– The environmental psychology based approach, which has been informing the artist’s research during the creation of this project. The focus of Letizia’s investigation opens from an intimate and documentary account of her friend’s Sonia life events, who relocated from Dublin to the West of Ireland and then Waterford to follow her vision, and join the cause of Ireland’s reforestation via its native seeds and trees. Letizia’s gaze for this creative documentary, is centered in the environmental psychology concept of place identity. The artist’s intention through the Photo-seeds art packs give away in different parts of Dublin from July to September 2021, expands in the exploration of the connection between the individual and the collective consciousness, and it wants to spark people’s reflection when it comes to consider the relationship between humans and their environment, both at a psychological and at a physical level.
Free photo-seeds art-packs handcrafted by the artist every day, have been given away as core call to action of this awareness campaign, which has been been running since July in different locations across Dublin, and which will continue throughout the month of September too, in the below Dublin shops, kind patrons to Letizia Lopreiato’s artivism campaign:
– Johngunncamera on Richmond Street
– Simonsplacecafe on George Street Arcade
– Wallandkeoghtea on Richmond Street
– Alanhannasbookshop on Rathmines Street Lower
SEE YOU ALL AT 6.30 P.M. ON THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 23RD AT STUDIO 6, TEMPLE BAR GALLERY + STUDIOS, COME JOIN US AND GET YOUR FREE NATIVE SEEDS’ ART PACKS TOO ON THE DAY, A SIGN OF GRATITUDE FROM THE ARTIST IN SUPPORT OF THE NATIVE SEEDS AND TREES OF IRELAND!