I am an artist registered as self-employed. Please would you advise me regarding preparing my annual tax returns.

It is impossible to provide a detailed answer to this question as the issue is too subjective. However, Visual Artists lreland has commissioned Gaby Smyth and Co Accountants to prepare a guide on Tax, PRSI and Social Insurance benefits for self-employed artists.

This guide provides advice on how to keep books and records, prepare your accounts and how to file your returns. You can view the guide in The Manual section of the website.

Flannigan Edmonds Bannon, Chartered Accountants have prepared a very similar guide for artists in Northern Ireland. You can view it also find it in The Manual.

The Office of the Revenue Commissioners website has more comprehensive information on self-employment generally.

Northern Ireland artists should check the HM Revenue and Customs website.