Application deadline: Wednesday 8 August.
North America’s largest exhibitor of independent and experimental moving image culture is currently seeking an Artistic Director.
The Artistic Director plays a pivotal role in establishing the curatorial and artistic direction of the annual festival, and oversees all aspects of the programming including curating, researching, writing, and presentation. The person in this position will work in a collaborative team environment to plan and execute a successful annual festival. The Artistic Director specializes in the programming of contemporary moving image arts and film, and will be responsible for the artistic direction for approximately 50 events, including: film & video screenings, public talks and live performances, museum and art gallery exhibitions, and special projects throughout the year. This is a year-round position reporting to the Executive Director.
The main duties for Artistic Director include but are not limited to:
– Establish the overall programming direction for the Images Festival, in conjunction with the Executive Director and Programming Coordinator
– Research, manage submissions, and selecting films, videos, exhibitions, live performances, guests speakers, and curatorial proposals for presentation
– Develop artistic themes, ideas and concepts. Write curatorial statements, program descriptions, descriptions of individual works
– Liaison between with artists, filmmakers, guest curators, and speakers, and facilitate their attendance and participation (working with hospitality and guests services)
– Work with presenting exhibition partners, guest curators, committees, awards juries, writers and partnering organizations on specific projects
– Manage artists fees, rental agreements, and contracts
– Oversee the treatment, scope and budget of presentations
– Supervise and work in conjunction with the programming team to coordinate the technical and work, including overseeing technical installations, screenings, performances, and venues. Oversee details relating to installing and de-installing installation works: including equipment rental, transportation and installation, materials purchase and construction and coordination of volunteers
– Provide programming content for communications, including images and text for public relations, marketing and outreach
– Working in conjunction with the Executive Director prepare programming project proposals, reports and plans in relation to public grants, development and fundraising
– Working in conjunction with Operations Manager to maintain timelines, create presentation schedule, oversee the logistical details of presentations
This is a salaried position year-round position, and a combination full-time hours (September to April), and part-time (May-August) in Toronto, Canada.
Salary is ($22-25 hour) subject to confirmation of hours and commensurate with experience.
For full details visit imagesfestival.com/opportunities