Application deadline: 21 June, 5pm.
In partnership with the Galway City Arts Office, CÚRAM are now inviting proposals from artists across Ireland who are interested in working as part of CÚRAM’s public engagement programme. They invite artists to propose ideas for an ambitious and contemporary permanent artwork in Galway’s Eastside community in Ballybane and Doughiska.
The budget for this project is €10,000.
For full Artists Brief visit – curamdevices.ie/curam/….
The artist will work with one of the following three themes:
• Cardiovascular research – Researcher: Professor William Wijns
• Soft and hard tissue regeneration – Researcher: Dr Dimitrios Zeugolis
• Biomaterials and the body – Researcher – Dr Manus Biggs
The chosen artist will work within the CÚRAM laboratories to learn about CÚRAM’s research and will then spend a period of time working with the Eastside community to realise the project. The artwork must both acknowledge the various communities of Eastside and celebrate its connection to CÚRAM and the Medical Technology Industry. The artwork will help to create a sense of ownership of the communities’ collective future health and the role that the CÚRAM research will play in this.
All eligible applications will be considered by a selection panel, appointed by Galway City Council and CÚRAM and will include two professional artists. If you would like to visit CÚRAM, please contact Andrea Fitzpatrick on 091 495155 or email email@example.com.
The artists will be expected to:
- Engage with Eastside communities to create a piece of work which represents CÚRAM’s engagement in the community and how the community of Westside links to the Medical Technology sector
- Create a plan which engages the community fully
And on selection as the commissioned artist:
- Prepare a 15-20 minute talk to introduce their work to staff and researchers at CÚRAM
- Use the studio space to develop your work
- Make connections and engage with other researchers who are involved in the designated research area
- Link in with participants in the other residency programmes ; Teachers in Residence and Filmmakers in Residence
- Publish examples of ongoing research on Facebook and Twitter (to be approved by the project manager)
Submissions to be sent to Andrea.Fitzpatrick@nuigalway.ie
￼Submission for this commission must include:
1. Curriculum Vitae
2. An outline proposal and concept for the project
3. Detailed sketches which explain the proposal, minimum 2 x A4 drawings or alternative expression.
4. Detailed budget breakdown, inclusive of all costs, including tax and insurance details (public liability cover indemnifying the school), as well as material and fabrication costs, design costs, artist fee, transport and site costs.
5. Examples of previous work (maximum 15 images).
The artist must be tax compliant and all submissions must comply with relevant Health and Safety regulations.