Deadline for submissions: 13 March
The commission forms part of the city’s ambition to improve The Calls area. This small art commission invites artists to submit designs for 7 bollards and two internet exchange cabinets.
The Calls area is adjacent to the River Aire. Historically The Calls was an area of industry, now it is a gateway to Leeds’ waterfront and home to a mixture of bars, restaurants, hotels, office and residential accommodation.
The Calls falls within the Leeds city centre conservation area, any works undertaken should preserve or enhance the special character of the conservation area and its setting.
Leeds City Council invites artists to submit designs for 7 bollards and two internet exchange cabinets. The artist will also be responsible for installing/implementing the design.
- The design should be innovative, appropriate for a conservation area and take into consideration the surroundings.
- Materials are not defined by the brief, but we envisage that the designs would be painted on the street furniture.
- Preparation work is to be undertaken by the artist including primer, base coat etc.
- The designer will work with the design team to agree the final design.
The total budget for the commission is up to £900.00 to include
- Design fees
- Installation; including all materials, metal paint, primer etc.
- Travel and parking costs
- The attendance at one site meeting
- Any other expenses incurred in the design and production process
Apply online here: www.curatorspace.com/public-art-commission-the-calls-leeds