Sunday 26 March, 10am to 6pm
Intro to Letterpress (using both type and imagery): 1 day course at Limerick Printmakers
15% discount for students, seniors and those not in full time employment// 30% discount for all LP studio members
Letterpress is a process traditionally used as a means of printing pages of specifically arranged type e.g. printing pages of books, newspapers. In LP’s Intro to Letterpress course, we combine imagery (using photo sensitive plates) with typesetting, meaning students can create and print designs that combine solid images, line and text.
This course is aimed at a variety of people – from those with no experience of printmaking through to those who would like to learn the process in more detail.
This course will include:
• Studio health and safety/best practice
• One-on-one consultation with tutor regarding preparing your image using appropriate software
• Step by step guidance and assistance in preparing your plate and composing your chosen type
• Correct use of the letterpress – safety, inking up of press, registration of plate, colour choices, troubleshooting
• Printing multiples of your image
• Cleaning and storage of plates for future use
The focus of this one-day course is to impart every step of the process to those taking part and to provide ample time for making notes and asking all relevant questions. Images are kept at A5 size or smaller in order to support this aim and every student will leave with multiple copies of their own print.
Brian Fitzgerald is a highly experienced printmaker, artist and qualified teacher. He is also co-founder and co-director of Parallel Editions, a fine art print editioning company based in Limerick city.