Deadline: 5 November 2017
Vacancy for an Assistant Curator – Hillsborough Castle.
This is a 12 months fixed-term vacancy, based at Hillsborough Castle (County Down) for an experienced curator with a specialization principally in historic buildings and an interest in British and Irish history. Hillsborough Castle is the official residence of HM The Queen, as well as the Secretary of State, in Northern Ireland and an important new heritage site for Historic Royal Palaces. The post holder will provide research support to the Curator as well as the wider Hillsborough team. This position presents an exciting opportunity for a knowledgeable, experienced, and talented individual.
You will support and advise the team on researching, understanding and sharing the stories of the Castle and its historic fabric. You will also help to champion an understanding of history in the presentation of the Castle and its estate today.
Key duties include:
• Providing buildings conservation advice to colleagues in line with Historic Royal Palaces’ conservation policies and legislation for listed buildings in Northern Ireland
• Setting standards for the presentation and use of the Castle through producing Statements of Significance and the Conservation Plan
• Writing, communicating and archiving research and reports on the Castle and its broad history from the seventeenth to the twenty-first century
• Identifying requirements for essential buildings and archaeological recording; commissioning and supervising specialist consultants
• Representing Historic Royal Palaces to the wider world and communicating its stories.
Find out more and apply by visiting www.hrp.org.uk/recruitment