V22 is pleased to announce that it is developing workspace crèche facilities in its studio building in Dalston, London. This is a pilot project aimed to help parents who are also artists, creatives, freelancers and entrepreneurs, to continue their work whilst not giving up being hands-on parents. If successful V22 want to make it an integral part of all their studio and workspace buildings across London. V22 currently provides affordable workspace for over 400 tenants.
V22 is an art organisation, with a shared ownership structure, which specialises in the collection of contemporary art, the production of exhibitions, events and educational initiatives, and the provision of artists’ studios and artisans’ workshops.
Some interesting stats:
- In the UK, one third of mothers and a fifth of fathers with dependent children (Office of National Statistics) work flexibly.
Recent studies have shown that London has the lowest rate of parental employment in the country, with women disproportionately affected.
- In London, 60% of women with dependent children are in work, compared with 69% in the rest of the UK.
- The gender pay gap increases from 6% for 26 to 35-year-olds, to 20% for 36 to 45-year-olds.
- Less than 10% of UK companies offer workplace crèches – although parents say having childcare within the same building really helps with breastfeeding, with unpredictable working hours and minimises the time wasted dropping children off at childcare facilities.
- The UK is placed 18th in an international ranking on gender equality in the workplace, according to the World Economic Forum, Ireland is ranked 5th. (http://www3.weforum.org/docs/GGGR2015/cover.pdf)
- A 2015 Harvard University study found that daughters of working mothers enjoyed better careers, higher pay and more equal relationships.