Deadline for Stage 1: Friday 9 August, 12 noon.
Laois County Council is commissioning a permanent public art / sculpture under the Per Cent for Art scheme for the new Cultural Quarter in the centre of Portlaoise, Co. Laois.
Note: Although there are a number of possible prominent sites for this artwork, the exact location will be informed by the commissioned artist.
Please see link in brief to map for general location details.
Artists Brief: CULTURAL-QUARTER.pdf
Various approaches and levels of public engagement are both important and welcomed as part of this Per Cent for Art project. Collaborative partnerships are also welcome, should artists wish to partner with another artist for this project.
The brief asks the applying artist/s to consider the following in expressing their interest in this commission:
• Focus on the historical but also the current cultural context of Portlaoise. laoisarchaeology.ie/…
• The Gaelic (O’Moores and Seven Septs), Medical (Bartholemew Mosse and Jacobs) and Aviation (James Fitzmaurice and The Aldritt’s Family) Heritage of Portlaoise.
• Be willing to take part in Public Engagement in the process of project development.
• Focus on the creation of an engaging and ‘living’ artwork for all the citizens and visitors to Portlaoise.
• Consider the relevance of the artwork now and in the future.
• Consider the durability, health and safety and the requirement for a low maintenance artwork.
Artists are invited to express their interest in being considered for this project at the first stage of this commission. Artists may do this by completing the application form and submission of a CV and images / details of recent relevant works / projects.
From the completed Stage 1 applications; a shortlist of artists will be selected by the selection panel. This panel, whose decision is final, has the right to clarify any issue which may arise in the course of selection. Stage 2 short listed artists will be paid a concept development fee of €250 for their work in preparation of a detailed proposal for final selection.
A Stage 2 brief to include subjects of interest will be available to shortlisted artists and a site visit is expected at this stage.
The Selection Panel will consist of two / three members of the Portlaoise Public Art Committee, two Professional Artists and will be chaired by the Curator / Project Manager.
Applicants can make enquiries regarding the commission to Rina Whyte,
email firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone + 353 87 238 9591.
(First listed 11 June)