There are 2 ways to join a Zoom meeting:
- Through a link via your email invitation
- With the Zoom app on your desktop
Note: For most events we will enable a waiting room. This will allow you to sign in and beforehand, and as soon as the team is ready we’ll bring everyone from the waiting room.
- You will receive an email invitation from the meeting host
- Click on the link in the email (join via PC, Mac, iOS or Android)
- You will be taken to the meeting
The confirmation email that you receive when booking will have your log in details. These will not work until just before the event is due to start.
From the Zoom app:
- Open the Zoom app on your desktop, Start button, Zoom folder, start Zoom
- Click on Sign in and Sign in with your account if you have set one up. You may not need this and simply use the Meeting ID and Password that you will receive in your confirmation email when you book.
- You can then choose whether to come into the meeting with your audio or video enabled or disabled
Interacting during a Café
You will be automatically on mute when you enter. This is to ensure that the speakers can be the focus. If you would like to ask a question or make a comment pertinent to the speaker, then use the Reaction Menu in the popup menu that appears at the bottom of the main screen… you can either clap or thumbs up to show that you would like to speak. The host will then bring you in at the appropriate moment. Also, if you prefer, you can send questions through using the CHAT function.
Tips on how to use Zoom effectively
Mute/Unmute & Audio Settings
You can mute and unmute your microphone. The host also has the ability to mute you. If you click on the arrow next to the mute button, you will have additional options for audio settings. You can change your microphone, leave the computer audio or access the audio options.
Start/Stop Video & Video Settings
You can turn your camera on or off with the Start/Stop Video button. By clicking on the arrow next to the start/stop video button, you can change webcams, access your Zoom video settings, or select a virtual background (if enabled).
If you click on Participants (yours may not have Manage in the title), you can see who is currently in the meeting. The participants list also gives you the option to raise your hand or rename yourself.
- Raise Hand – notifies host and shows a prompt to simulate hand raise – You can also use the Reactions button to do this.
- Rename – hover over your name to change it as it is seen in the participants list and video window
Chat with individuals or everyone in the meeting. Click Chat to open up the chat window and chat with other participants or view chat messages. Select the drop down next to To: to change who you are chatting with.
At the upper right of the Zoom window, you can switch between active speaker view and gallery view.
We suggest keeping the default unless there is group discussion, when gallery view may be preferable.
You can also switch between a shared screen and the video by clicking on a button available in this location during a screen share.
Enter/Exit Full Screen
At the top right of the Zoom window, you can enter or exit full screen mode. You can also exit full screen by clicking Esc.
You can leave the meeting at any time by clicking on the Leave Meeting option at the lower right corner of the Zoom window.
For More Information
Contact Technical Support
Zoom Help Center