Deadline for receipt of submissions: 30 June, 5pm
ACARD Limited, a Cahersiveen Community Development Company invites submissions from Artists to create a monument in honour of Daniel O’Connell. Often referred to as The Liberator or The Emancipator, he was an Irish political leader in the first half of the 19th century. He studied at Douai in France and was admitted as a barrister to Lincoln’s Inn in 1794, transferring to Dublin’s King’s Inns two years later. In his early years, he became acquainted with the pro-democracy radicals of the time and
committed himself to bringing equal rights and religious tolerance to his own country.
During the early 1830s O’Connell was elected as a representative for his native Kerry to the Houses of Parliament and led an Irish nationalist party in the House of Commons. O’Connell’s greatest achievement was the gaining in 1829 of Catholic Emancipation, that is, the right of a Catholic to take a seat in the British parliament without having to take an
oath depreciatory of his religion. He achieved his goals not by violence, but through non-violent democratic activism.
The commissioners wish to honour Daniel O’Connell in his native Cahersiveen by means of a public space/sculpture/monument.
Budget: €100,000 (inclusive of VAT)
Artists Brief: Daniel O Connell brief v1.1
Submissions must include the following:
– A full Artists CV
– Examples of previous work (NB -detailing client, scale of work, materials used, budget and timeframe of delivery).
– Detailed Artistic depiction of the monument and proposed concept to the commissioners. This may include detailed sketches/ or other relevant art form submission such as DVDs etc. displaying the proposal from all angles, you may wish to include a ‘to scale’ maquette.
– A detailed budget breakdown, inclusive of all costs, including tax and insurance costs, material costs, artist fee, transport and site costs.
– Submissions should also include for Information plaque adjacent to the work detailing title of work and year.
– Tax Clearance Access Number and PPSN/ Tax reference number (TRN)
– Details of Public Liability Insurance cover indemnifying (minimum €6.5 million).
All submissions along with the completed attached application form to:
“Daniel O’Connell Monument”,
Marina Offices, The Pier,
Co. Kerry, Ireland
The winning application will be chosen by a panel of specially appointed judges with agreement of the commissioners. The panel will comprise of two members of the community development group, a representative from the contributing funders, a representative from the county council and an independent professional artist.
All queries in writing/email to
Marina Offices, The Pier, Cahersiveen, Co. Kerry, Ireland
Fax 066 9472993