Application deadline: Thursday 1 June, 5pm
A vacancy has become available for an Assistant Editor: News. This is an exciting role at the centre of VAI’s core services. The vacancy comes at a time of change for VAI as we continue our business review and systems update which are designed to have our services benefit even more visual artists. This is a full-time position with a salary expectation at level C. The position requires: enthusiasm; the ability to contribute in a positive manner to a fast-moving organisation; an excellent proficiency in English grammar; working knowledge of InDesign; and experience in print and electronic media creation and distribution.
The role reports to our Office Manager and will work closely with our Communications Officer and Advocacy Assistant. Candidates must have excellent health and flexibility to travel. The successful candidate will be based in our Dublin office and is expected to work at relevant times in our Belfast office as well as representing VAI news provision around the country at events.
Asst Editor: News
Working in partnership with Asst Editor: Features; and Communications Officer and Advocacy Asst.
– Commissioning, structural editing and final proofreading of texts for the Visual Artists’ News Sheet (Microsoft Word)
– Research for regional profiles and features
– Setting deadlines and managing production schedule
– Liaising with writers, responding to article proposals and submissions
– Updating Online Listings
– Writing up listings taken from VAI website, press releases and emails
– Editing in-house VAI documents
– Page layout/typesetting/design (InDesign) for all of Visual Artists’ News Sheet (VAN)
– Image sourcing and editing (Photoshop)
– Ad design
– Design for VAI such as stationary, Get Together signage/info sheets, ads for other publications, logos
– Putting articles online at visualartistsireland.com (WordPress) including image editing and formatting
– Contributing to VAI social media regarding VAN content
– Managing all advertising for the VAN
– Managing overall budgets for writers/print/advertising/post (Microsoft Excel)
– Liaising with printers on all production details and sending final content
– Liaising with An Post, mail distribution company and local delivery service regarding VAN
– Checking competitive prices for mailing, delivery, print, software and other VAN-related services on a regular basis
– Handling VAN deliveries
– Organising/assisting at events such as the artists’ book stall at Get Together and art writing panels
– Answering the phone and dealing with member queries/payments
To apply please send C.V. and cover letter outlining your suitability to the position and reason for applying. Applications by email marked Assistant Editor: News and sent to email@example.com.
Visual Artists Ireland is an equal opportunity employer.